Author Topic: Alex's work  (Read 5309 times)

Alex

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Alex's work
« on: May 11, 2015, 04:39:14 PM »
I plan on creating a scene with a desert theme. It'll have sand, with cliffs and worn down looking buildings you might see at abandoned mines.
Here is an image showing a test of a few tiles I am working on. I'm working on the tiles first so that I have a bunch to pick from when I build the scene.

Alex

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Alex's work
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 02:01:05 AM »
I'll be working on some art assets that I intend to use in a game. I want to spend some time working with Crocotile 3d as a user rather than a developer so that I can get a better feel for what features could be improved, and any other things that may need adjusting.
By showing stuff built with Crocotile 3d used in a game, I hope that will help motivate others to try the program and use it for their own projects. Crocotile 3d doesn't have to be used just for games, but I originally created it with that in mind.

This is something I quickly put together to test some stuff.
http://i.imgur.com/ncnBOpH.gif

Hopefully I'll have some more stuff to show soon.

Alex

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 12:38:41 AM »
When you're drawing in 2d, sometimes it is difficult to imagine how it will translate to 3d. If you remove the sense of depth in the 2d image, and allow that depth to be created via the 3d geometry then I think it becomes easier to model with.. I think the same can be said for the opposite way around. In any case, here's an animated gif showing what I'm working with.
http://i.imgur.com/u1Xad3r.gif

Alex

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 03:12:10 AM »
So I've been developing Paint tools for Crocotile 3D, so that users can paint onto their tilesets/textures. This helps from having to go into another program to edit an image, and also helps with planning out your texture easily within Crocotile 3D. I originally was going to keep the tools simple, but I got carried away and now it has a full set of tools to make the paint process flow effortlessly. I've been testing it and I still have to tweak some things.. here's an animated gif of a model I am creating while also painting the texture- all being done in Crocotile 3D.
http://i.imgur.com/XhzaEzD.gif

Alex

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 12:33:54 AM »
Lately I have been working on implementing Prefab features into Crocotile 3D now that the paint features have been added.
The plan is to make tiles in the scene allowed to be grouped together to form objects/prefabs, and you'll have layers to organize them under. The objects can then be selected and instances of those can be added to the scene. The instances will be editable, so editing one will change all of them.
Everything will be tied into the undo/redo states, so I have to insert a lot of extra code to handle that. When you edit one instance, that change must be able to be undone on all of the instances, as well as be redone, so it can be a bit complicated.

Alex

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 07:35:49 PM »
Here's a followup to the previous post.
I made a lot of progress with the grouping/prefab features. I also took a break during the month to enter a gamejam. Now I'm slowly returning to development on the grouping/prefab implementation. I am currently working on import/exporting of prefabs, saving/loading related stuff, and user experience pertaining to these new features.
There are various things that aren't as straight-forward a process, such as what happens if a user imports an object that utilizes multiple tilesets? I'll need a way to recombine these if there happens to be duplicates (if any tileset is already being used in the scene since when you import a prefab, it will import the tilesets as well). I'll probably implement a method to combine tilesets (to replace one with an existing tileset in the scene), and let the user decide which ones to keep or discard.

Alex

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2015, 09:12:25 PM »
Continuing with the progress reports, I'm getting closer to releasing the next version.
Implementing the ability to combine images(in the case of duplicates), introduced various bugs that I have been fixing. I believe I fixed all of them, but I'll continue testing things. The issues were related to cases where combining images would then need to update images in the undo/redo states, etc, and tiles that rely on those that may or may not be in the scene at the time. A bit too complicated to explain.
I've begun working on ways to re-position the origin point of objects(grouped tiles). I want to make it easy to expand it later to support additional object points for storing custom data that can be exported. I probably won't include the ability to add extra object points in the next version, but perhaps the version after it will be added. I'm focusing on the essentials first so an update can be provided sooner rather than later since it has been a while since the last update.

Alex

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2015, 09:02:25 PM »
Things are progressing quicker than expected, so I've added the ability to add more object points, and came up with a simple way of managing them. I may add other ways to handle them in the future, but I'm not sure how important it will be. Also implemented ability to use objects as a prefab brush, so you can visually place them in the scene or erase them. There are a few more things I want to clean up, etc, and then I'll need to test things more & run through everything with possibly a demonstration video.

Alex

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2016, 02:38:20 AM »
I was doing a little playing, creating a small island scene. Will try to keep updating it here and there.

Alex

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2016, 01:19:27 AM »

Polyducks

• View Profile
    • Polyducks Website
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2016, 08:01:26 PM »
Wow Alex! Those are some really fantastic colours. I like the shadows you've got baked into the model here.

Alex

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2016, 09:33:06 PM »
Thanks! I don't know how well the shadows will look when more of the scene is built, but I can always adjust the texture to make things pop out or blend better.
It's also interesting working with the tileset, since I have to think a bit differently while I draw it.
If I draw an image, I can give the impression of depth and perspective inside the image, but these things may not always translate over to 3d well, since the 3d adds depth/perspective of its own.

Wuvvums

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2016, 08:24:41 PM »
I know it's been a few months, but it's really cool to see you work on your own projects too in the software and I look forward to more

Alex

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2016, 08:59:29 PM »
thanks!
actually, I had worked on it some more previously, but I guess I forgot to post it:

Wuvvums

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2016, 09:09:33 PM »
It's really nice! I'm really impressed at how pretty you can make your tiles and that you also made your own software. Part of me wonders how you got the idea to make a 3-D software like this? Whatever the case may be I'm glad I have this new tool to play around with.