Author Topic: Marquee selection inconsistencies  (Read 2072 times)

Rosalie

• View Profile
    • 3DSauce.com
Marquee selection inconsistencies
« on: February 11, 2016, 04:15:43 PM »

I'm trying to get familiar with the selection tools and I find that the marquee selection only seams to work 1 out of 10 times. And it's random. I can't identify why, but if I try and select the same set of vertices using the same motion over and over again, I will only actually select them once in a while. I don't think I'm doing anything different when I actually select them.   

This only happens when trying to select vertices using the left mouse drag. If I try to select faces (alt+left mouse drag) or de-select the vertices, everything works as intended.

Alex

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Marquee selection inconsistencies
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 05:26:37 PM »
Hm, sounds strange.
I need more information in order to figure out what might be causing it. Certain steps to reproduce the problem, since I can't replicate it. I know that verts can't be selected if the polygon face is facing away from the camera, but that's probably not the issue? Also, if you use the crosshair arrows to move stuff, that might prevent selecting verts if you are clicking the crosshair instead.. That's interesting that you can deselect stuff fine, or select faces.
Some things you could try, is maybe pressing ctrl+d a couple times to deselect everything, to see if that helps.
Maybe rotating the camera to another perspective might help?
I'll try to investigate it, but if you come across other information, let me know.

Rosalie

• View Profile
    • 3DSauce.com
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 09:30:57 PM »
Ok, so I thought I was home free in my last post in the crash thread, but I'm not... :C  I Haven't had a crash since, but the marquee selection is definitely not fixed. I still haven't identified what it is that makes it work when it does. for some strange reason, if I start my selection at the bottom right corner it seam to work more often then from any other place, but its not fool proof, and it just seams like a coincidence to me. In general it seams to have an easier time selecting vertices of objects that are smaller (1 unit in size) then say items that are several unit in size.

I even notice that copy pasting doesn't seam to work predictably. I tried it this morning and it seamed to work as intended, But right now, it wont copy the item I have selected, and will only let me paste an old selection from two opened files ago. I also seam to have to press it for a while for it to record the action. After trying it a bit more, it seams to copy more consistently if I have a vertex selected and the face I want to copy selected. but that too feels a bit like a coincidence to me, I get an over all feeling that for some reason, the program in general doesn't always record my key presses and needs me to click a long time in order to know what I'm doing. And just for the record, I don't think it could be my key board, I use it for every other program I use, plus typing this message so I don't think it's the hardware.

But ya, main take away I think is key press time, there's something wonky there.

Hope this helps narrow it down, thanks a million for your reply!

Alex

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 10:15:10 PM »
Out of curiosity, have you changed any of the key bindings? If you have, which ones, and what did you change them to?

Rosalie

• View Profile
    • 3DSauce.com
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 10:42:59 PM »
I have. I made the navigation keys more akin to Maya's hotkeys. But I'm resetting them right now.

so after resetting the keys to there original mapping, I still have issues with copy pasting. I've noticed a slight improvement in the selecting of the vertices, but still with have the occasional hiccup which makes me think its just coincidence.   

Darn! It sucks, I was so hoping it was something silly I changed! 

I'll try rebooting my computer now that I've set the keys back, maybe it might make a difference?

Alex

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 10:56:13 PM »
Okay, I did some testing, and I was able to reproduce the issue with not being able to select the vertices.
Not sure exactly why it happens, but I'll work on figuring it out.

Alex

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 11:59:45 PM »
Okay, so the way I am able to reproduce it is by having the crosshair arrows enabled, and holding down alt or shift, then clicking an arrow and dragging it and releasing the alt or shift key before releasing the mouse button. Afterwards, selecting doesn't work as intended until the shift or alt button is pressed/released again.
Let me know if this is what you were experiencing, or if it is something different! Hopefully this is the correct issue- I'll work on fixing it.

Rosalie

• View Profile
    • 3DSauce.com
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 04:12:50 AM »
First of all, thank you so much for being so on the ball! You are awesome!

I did your reproduction steps and it is EXACTLY what I was experiencing when I first wrote this thread! However, I think I've been experiencing a milder version ever since I told you I thought it had been fixed. I don't know if the milder version is going to be fixed with this bug, but its definitely a good place to start!

Here are the basic steps to encounter the milder version of the problem. I haven't been able to figure out the exact step to have it happen on the first selection every time,  but If I do enough selections, (10-20) it will happen.

1- boot the program
2- place tiles (notice how I've made sure not to click on any other keys)
3- press tab
4- start selecting.

Now, sometimes it wont happens on the first try, but in a GIF found here :  http://i.imgur.com/85r1on3.gif , you will notice it happen right away, on the third try and later on when I try to select a couple vertices close to the tile set window.

Right now it's at a frequency where it's more of an annoyance then anything else and It doesn't stop me from using the program like it did when I started this thread. So its good news!

Let me know if the GIF is clear and thank you so much for your help!

Alex

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2016, 04:35:14 AM »
Ah cool. Yeah that helps a lot. I'm able to reproduce the problem now.
I'll try to figure out why it does that and fix it!
Thanks!

Alex

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2016, 08:25:47 PM »
Okay, I've figured out the issues with the vertices not selecting and I have fixed it. :)
I'll try to get a new version released soon once I sort out some other stuff.

Rosalie

• View Profile
    • 3DSauce.com
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2016, 09:06:19 PM »
Awesome-pants! Thank you so much, I'm really looking forward to using your program more!

I've played around more with the copy past tool and I think I have a better understanding of it. I have to firmly press the keys in order for Crocotiles to know what I'm doing. But I think I've got it under control. If I go too quickly like I typically would in other programs like Photoshop, It wont record the button press.