Author Topic: Standard unit size  (Read 1534 times)

Rosalie

• View Profile
    • 3DSauce.com
Standard unit size
« on: February 09, 2016, 06:31:27 PM »
Hello Alex!

I just got my hands on your program and spent the morning exploring it. I love it! And I think it will be a wonderful addition to my asset creation pipeline, but there is one thing preventing me from truly going ahead with doing so.

I don't see any way of specifying the unit size of the objects created. Is there a way of knowing what unit you are using and to changing it?

for example, If I export a 1X1 tile created in Crocotile3D to Maya (which is set in Centimeter). The tile will be quite small on import, and in order to match 1cm, I will need to scale it by around ~3.91 which kind of seams like a strange number. The reason for this is because I need the objects created in Crocotiles to match items that have already been made and that fit a specific snap to grid system in Maya and Unity3D. 

I hope this isn't a silly question to ask!

Cheers,
Rosalie M.

Alex

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Standard unit size
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 06:53:59 PM »
Hi Rosalie,
Each tile is 1 unit wide. So, if 5 units make a centimeter in maya, and you want each tile to be a centimeter wide, you'd scale it up 5 times larger. You'd have to figure out how many units a centimeter is in Maya. I think that is something you can adjust in Maya? I'm not sure since I haven't used it. Maybe there is a way to set the unit size in maya so that a centimeter is 1 unit.

Rosalie

• View Profile
    • 3DSauce.com
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 07:29:48 PM »
Thank you so much for the crazy fast response!

ok! You are right  1 unit in Crocotile = 1 unit in maya (which is in cm for me)! I was getting confused trying to match up the pixels to my grid, which I set up to be every 2.5 units! It all makes sens now, thank you so much!

Alex

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 07:38:17 PM »
No problem! Good to know you've sorted it out.
If you have any other questions,suggestions, or want to share what you make, feel free to post them