Author Topic: Getting Started with Crocotile 3D  (Read 2732 times)

Alex

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Getting Started with Crocotile 3D
« on: May 10, 2015, 11:10:17 PM »
Here I will explain how to use Crocotile 3D.
I will update this post when I have time to expand on the details, so consider this post a work in progress.

When you open Crocotile 3D, you're presented with a window that consists of the 3d world space(where you'll be placing the tiles), and a tileset window where you can cycle between tilesets and choose which tiles to draw into the 3d world space. At the top of the 3d window are a set of buttons allowing you to create a new scene, save a scene, load a scene, export to a 3d file format (currently only .obj). There is also a button in the tileset window with options to load a tileset, replace a tileset (the current one being viewed in the tileset window), remove a tileset (current one being viewed, as well as remove any tiles using that tileset).

There is a Drawing mode, and an Editing mode. Pressing the Tab key will switch between these. The ways to differentiate if you are in drawing or edit mode is by whether a tile(the brush) can be seen under your mouse in the 3d world space. Drawing mode allows you to draw tiles to the space, while edit mode allows you to edit the tiles in the world space. In edit mode you can right-click to open a context menu to access commands.

Each tile consists of two polygons which can be referred to as a quad. These quads use UV coordinates that correlate to positions on the tileset and help to define what part of the tileset gets displayed on the quad. In other words, you can click the tileset to select what section gets tiled into world space. You can change the default tilesize by adjusting the uv tilesize values shown near the bottom of the tileset window. You can also click and drag on the tileset to select larger areas.

If you are using multiple tilesets, you can click the next and previous buttons in the tileset window to cycle through them. Pressing E, and Q will rotate the tile uvs on your brush(if you are in Draw mode). You can also press R to mirror, and F to flip the uvs(Draw mode).

When you draw a tile, it will try to draw it facing towards the camera. You can rotate the camera to draw tiles facing a different direction. To control the camera, you hold down the Spacebar and use the mouse buttons to rotate, pan, and zoom.

You can draw back over tiles to replace them if those tiles are flat on the same plane as the brush, and you can right click to erase them as well. Holding Alt, and right clicking a tile will copy the uvs from that tile into the brush, whereas a left click would apply the uvs from the brush to the tile being clicked on.

If you want to move the plane that you draw on, there is a 3d crosshair that can be controlled by pressing the W,A,S,D keys. W and S shift the crosshair up and down in relation to the viewing angle of the camera, and A, and D will move it left and right. You can also hold Spacebar and press W and S to move the crosshair away from the camera or towards the camera.

This is all good, but what if you want to adjust the tiles geometry? By pressing Tab and switching to Edit mode, you can now select tiles. When you click a tile in edit mode it will select the face of the quad. Click again and it will deselect it. As you may notice, there are also white square positioned at the corners of the tile, these are its' vertices, and they can be selected as well. Multiple vertices and faces can be selected by clicking and dragging the mouse over them. When you hold shift, it selects only the faces. Without holding shift it will only select vertices. Multiple vertices and faces can also be deselected in a similar way, but require the Alt key to be held as well. Another way to deselect is to hold Ctrl and press D. Pressing once will deselect the vertices, and pressing again will deselect the faces.

With a selection made, you can move them around using the W,A,S,D keys in the same way you move the crosshair. Holding shift will move only the crosshair without moving the selection. This is useful if you need to re-position the crosshair before applying a rotation. Selected vertices and faces and be rotated using the Q and E keys and it will pivot around the crosshair. Change the camera angle to change which direction the selection is rotated. In addition to rotating, selections can be mirrored (R key), flipped (F key). Faces can also be reversed (Ctrl+R), and have their edges flipped (Ctrl+F).

At the bottom of the tileset window there is a grid rounding value. This value equals how many pixels the grid spacing is and the amount vertices will move when re-positioned. By default, everything can be moved by 0.5 units (half of whatever the tilesize is). By lowering the value, it allows you to have more freedom with positioning your tiles, but it could be more difficult to manage.

The uv precision values correspond to how many pixels uv coordinates get shifted when you move them. When vertices are selected, you can move their UVs by pressing the arrow keys in Edit mode.

There are other useful features, such as the ability to copy and paste selected tiles (Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V). And also take note that there are Undo states and Redo states (Ctrl+Z and Ctrl+Y) that allow you to reverse any changes you've made.

How to Export

to be continued.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 05:15:53 PM by Alex »

MrKarate1983

• View Profile
Re: Getting Started with Crocotile 3D
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 03:54:38 PM »
Hello Mr. Alex! Thanks for all your help with this Quick guide about how to use Crocotile 3D. I would like to know If there exists an Official User Manual included with Crocotile3D? So I can print It and keep It at my hand to check each time I got a doubt. A printable Quickguide would be great too! I don't know If already exists, since I'm a new user.

Thanks for all Mr. Alex! I'm enjoying a lot Crocotile3D!

Alex

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 10:22:57 PM »
Hi MrKarate, there is a howto.html file that is included in the download which documents all the features. Is that what you need? Users can get a pretty good idea of how to use it by reading through that, but let me know if you need something else.

MrKarate1983

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 04:44:00 AM »
Hi MrKarate, there is a howto.html file that is included in the download which documents all the features. Is that what you need? Users can get a pretty good idea of how to use it by reading through that, but let me know if you need something else.

Oh, I found It! Thank you very much Mr. Alex! The "howto.html" file helped me a lot. I printed It as a PDF to use It as a field guide while working on my models.

Thanks for all!