Author Topic: Lexou's stuff  (Read 3364 times)

Lexou

• View Profile
Lexou's stuff
« on: November 29, 2015, 07:53:17 PM »
Man it feels lonely in this forum

Alex i have to say, this is a really fuckin nifty little piece of software you've made
(actually, ive been a fan of you since before this, ive had that pixelart skeleton gif you made as my phone background for a while)

i'm wayy into lowpoly these days, i just learned how to use maya properly and thanks to a custom UV editor called nsuv i made this :

lowpoly is awesooome

so i made this here with the free version of crocotile

and yeah i have quite a few suggestions and  things to say about the software, but i don't really have the time to write em all down right now
all in all you get the hang of this pretty quickly, well done man

one thing i will say is,  do you plan implementing dynamic/procedural generation with crocotile ?
see i have a pretty fleshed out game idea, and  crocotile would be perfect for what i had in mind, except i want to make it a roguelike game
so ideally id like to be able to make that work : im thinking like, a way to import a not too complex string file with tile placements and prefab objects
then i could write the procedural generation program to output such a string file, have it read by crocotile and create an obj out of that, and load it into the game (there'd be quite a loading screen im sure, but perhaps y'all have better ideas)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 08:20:16 PM by Alex »

Alex

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Lexou's stuff
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 09:02:09 PM »
Yeah, it is lonely here  :) Thanks for posting your work! It looks great! Always fun to see what others are making with Crocotile3d, and it also helps me see in what ways people are trying to use it.
Looks like you're getting the hang of it pretty well.
Your dynamic/procedural idea sounds interesting.
Adding the ability to load a file with positions/directions, and then placing prefabs based on those would be entirely possible to do.
I could see there being two ways to do this:
One that includes all possible prefabs- which would be chosen based on their names(so you'd have to include their names in the file with their positions),
and one that doesn't include names, and you simply choose the prefab in crocotile3d to place at all positions in the file.

Also, a way you could do it right now, if you don't mind using a lot of objects in your game, is to create the pieces in crocotile3d, export each of those, and then read the positions based on your generator to load them into your game (so instead of crocotile3d it would be your game that positions everything).

I still like your suggestion though, since it would enable the ability to automate placement of prefabs for people that need to do that.

Cool looking dungeon- I like how you colored the bricks near the torches, and the lighting near the windows.
I hope you continue sharing what you make. I don't know if you wanted any feedback on the crocotile3d scene. You seem to have a good eye for detail, based on how you're tiling things.

btw, your first image wasn't showing, so I edited your post to fix it.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 09:05:16 PM by Alex »

Lexou

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 09:41:25 PM »
well tbh im almost glad it's this lonely, gives me a chance to chat with the developer !

first of all, i'm flattered by all dem compliments,  but i dont exactly deserve em since i stole the tileset fromthis guy (i shouldve mentioned it, but i was pretty sure you had seen those dark souls GBC mockups on pixeljoint, they're quite successful)
but yeah don't worry, i'll crack out my pixelart skills as soon as i buy this, ive seriously been looking for this application for a long time (well thinking about making it myself rather than looking)
actually ill give you your 10 bucks as soon as i can but im in an exam period right now, and ive already been spending all day with crocotile when in fact i shouldve been working :X
Moreover, not to brag or anything i am pretty well versed in programming (OOP for 2d games is most of what ive done till now though) and i'd like to offer any help i can, be it just as a tester/critique giver, giving you ideas for implementation, or actually helping you code this

Oooh so prefabs are global thoughout the software ? i thought they were specific to a scene
actually, im thinking it might be a better call to have them be scene-specific (in name at least)
I mean like stored in the croco3D file, and alongside that having an option to export/import them ?
cause i was thinking you might wanna have, say, two chests that look different for two separate levels, but serve the same function in the game : your procedural generation will always just call it "chest" but that way itll load the correct "chest" prefab depending on wether you're in the level 1 scene or level 2

well you're right, i could place everything by programming, though i have no idea how i would implement some stuff, like merging vertices like you did, or making all these differents OBJs still load only one texture file, but hey this game idea can wait in any case

Speaking of prefabs in a string file : you should implement prefabs having an anchor point - the 3d cursor will jump to said anchor point when you select the object, just like it would jump to a vertex you clicked on
that way you can use this anchor point to make flipping and rotating objects more reliable, you see, at the beginning i thought it would just delete whatever object or face i tried to flip ( to avoid that, you might wanna make it so selected faces are visible even from behind, so you wont have to angle the camera all over the place to see where that flipped object went)

Alex

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 11:29:05 PM »
Ah, yea I've seen that tileset before, but I guess I didn't recognize it.

The prefabs can be exported as .obj files or .c3dp files. The c3dp files can be imported back into crocotile3d, so that you can take a prefab you build in one scene and use it in another without having to rebuild it. It doesn't really matter what their names are.
But yea, if the generator/automation process/etc were to "load" the chests into the scene when reading the file, it could be made to look for a prefab named "chest", and use that. So whichever chest prefab you imported for that scene would be used as long as the name matches. Then you could could have a different scene for each level-type.

At the moment I don't think any vertices get merged, but I could add the option on export to do it. Also, you can only use one texture per .obj file. So if you are using two textures in the scene, exporting to .obj will only export the currently selected texture, and it will include any geometry that uses that texture in the .obj file. This requires you to manage your textures in a way that works for you, and exporting for each texture. So it is suggested that prefabs use only one texture- but you're not forced to do so. Exporting the .c3dp file will export all textures and importing a .c3dp will import all textures that it uses.
There is a Combine Tilesets option to help with removing duplicate textures if you have any.

Prefabs do already have an anchor point. It defaults to wherever the current 3dCrosshair is when you create the prefab. But you can also move this anchor point by selecting the prefab listed under the Scene tab and clicking the button to reassign the origin to where the crosshair is. You can also add more points and export a list of them.

Being able to see selected faces from behind sounds like a good idea. I'll have to test that out.

Lexou

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 06:33:16 PM »
oooh ok, i get this all better now

actually after rereading my post i somewhat feel like an idiot :/
thanks for the explanations though :)

and i thought the vertices got merged but then its just because it selects all the vertices in one given point, you have to select and move the face if you wanna bring vertices apart

after using it a bit more here are some things i got to suggest
- isn't it possible to mirror objects ?
- perhaps you might make options on how the movement keys work - I, for one, would prefer wasd to be for horizontal movement and space+s and space+w to be for height, no matter the angle at which the camera is facing.
- this one feels pretty necessary, please add an option to let us see total numbers of vertices, faces, tris in the scene, and specifically how many currently selected vertices and faces (since crocotile's selection method is always inclusive and ctrl+d works in several steps, this would really help clear up some confusion i had at times)
- and lastly id love to see support for 2d objects that are always facing the camera (and perhaps we could choose the axises this happens on)

again man, i really love what youve done, i just wish there weren't so many exams i have to take care of :s

Alex

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 11:53:02 PM »
No problem :)
You could just click directly on a vert, hold mouse button down and drag it, and it should just drag one if they are overlapped. Holding shift will snap it to nearby verts. When you drag it this way, it will position based on the camera angle, so you can rotate the camera to drag it different ways.

To mirror, the R and F keys mirror and flip the selection relative to the crosshair. This will flip the direction of the faces too, so you can hold Shift and press R to reverse the faces if any faces are selected. Shift+F will flip the edge of the two polygons in each selected face.

I'm reworking the keymapping system, so once that is done, you will be able to change how the movement keys work like you describe.

Yeah, vert/poly count, selected verts, etc needs to get added. I'll try to round up a list of all the little tasks like that and work on getting them in.

Yeah, 2d objects is on the todo list. I plan to incorporate that in a similar way for light entities. Have prefabs with an attribute to make it always face the camera.

Thanks for the kind words!
and good luck on those exams.