Author Topic: Noob questions  (Read 1650 times)

Mchammon

• View Profile
Noob questions
« on: October 22, 2015, 11:52:27 PM »
Hi,

Name is Mchammon. I'm a new member. So I was wondering what programs are compatible with the obj. file that is created when you export a scene? Also is it possible to create 3D games with the exported file? How can I create tilesets from scratch? If I model a character in Crocotile which program can I use to create Machinima?

Alex

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Noob questions
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 12:59:40 AM »
Hi Mchammon, Welcome to the forum!
The .obj file format is considered a standard format for a lot of 3d applications. It'd probably be difficult to find a 3d application that doesn't support it. For example, you could use Blender, which is a free 3d application if you need to tweak the exported scene in more advanced ways. Sketchup might be another program to consider.
For creating games, you'll need to have some sort of software that allows you to import the .obj files, such as Unity 3d or Godot Engine. There might be other options as well, but I'm not familiar with them. I think Blender has a built in game engine/editor.
To create a tileset from scratch, you can import a blank image into Crocotile3d and use the paint tools to edit it. There should be more info about this in the documentation. Let me know if there's anything unclear about it.
I don't know enough about Machinima to make any suggestions on that, but if it imports .obj files, then it should be possible.
Hope that helps.

Edit: there are probably a lot of options available, but you'd have to check whether they can import .obj files or not. They should list which formats they support, so you'd just have to make some searches for game editors / machinima editors, etc, and check what features they have. They should have directions on how to import .obj files and texture them.
At the moment, I am personally using Construct 2 to make games. It is a 2d game editor, but I use a 3d plugin for it. I can't suggest this though since the plugin for Construct 2 isn't being actively maintained.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 01:11:16 AM by Alex »

Mchammon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 03:05:40 AM »
Thanks for responding! I'm gonna try creating a scene and then make a video with a program called Live interior Pro. It's very similar to Sketchup which I also have. Thanks again!

Alex

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 06:11:31 AM »
Cool, you can post your progress in the forum if you need feedback on anything. There's not too many members here, but it might  help inspire others that visit.
I'll be around here regularly to give my input, help, etc.