Author Topic: Feedback, Requests, & Suggestions  (Read 8266 times)

mekellioz

• View Profile
Re: Feedback, Requests, & Suggestions
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2016, 10:21:20 AM »
My suggestion would be allowing animated tiles? I don't know if that's possible, but it'd be cool to have flowing waterfalls and such.

Also a way to select a placed tile and only move it's corners and none of the adjacent tiles with it, I tried active selection mode but it doesn't do that. it still moves adjacent corners along with the selected tile.

Alex

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2016, 10:39:25 AM »
Yeah, animated tiles would be really great- I want to implement that sort of feature. It requires a bit of planning, so I need to think about a lot of stuff regarding how to implement it.

Active selection mode should only make the selected tiles editable. When you press Enter while tile's faces are highlighted, they will turn green indicating that you're in active selection mode. Then only the vertices of those green tiles will be movable. If that's not the case then there is a bug. I tested it just now to make sure and it works for me.
Another alternative method is to hit Ctrl+D to deselect the vertices, and then CTRL+A to select the vertices of any highlighted tiles. That will select all the vertices of the tile though.

Giromancy

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2017, 03:08:07 AM »
Hi Alex, im glad that you keep updating C3D, i just downloaded the last version 1.2.9 for testing it.

I have a suggestion for you. How about to make a tool (extension) for Unity 3D and be able to build our scenes directly from Unity 3D, load a tileset and start to build there, it would be a great tool for sure, ill pay for that. What do you think?

I mean something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeMrP_R4vb8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hHSdDX2lhY

Alex

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2017, 04:16:41 AM »
Before I started creating crocotile3d, I was trying to implement such a tool in Unity3d- but it never stuck to me. It might be worth trying again, but it would require a lot of time getting familiar with unity3d again, etc, and I have no reason to believe the payoff would be worth it in the end.

Giromancy

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2017, 06:06:53 PM »
Before I started creating crocotile3d, I was trying to implement such a tool in Unity3d- but it never stuck to me. It might be worth trying again, but it would require a lot of time getting familiar with unity3d again, etc, and I have no reason to believe the payoff would be worth it in the end.

Oh, i see, its ok, hope you can do something with this in the future. Thanks for your fast response as always. :)

twitchcoe

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2017, 02:50:15 AM »
Hey, new user here! Though I'm loving the software. I have not jumped in too far yet, but I have mostly wrapped my head around the editor and it seemed like a great addition to the tools for my game project, so I snagged a copy :D I noticed importing the .obj files into the engine I am using has some interesting unit:unit scaling (super tiny, and I can easily resize it in Blender or in the engine) though Blender also has an option to export with a scale applied to .obj files? This might be a convenient addition to Crocotile if I am making various objects to export, since I could just retain the export scale as opposed to resizing each individual object externally.

I have to tell you I love your software, thank you for the hard work! I've already suggested it to another developer friend of mine and we are both testing it out a bit in two separate projects, and I'd definitely love to update you once I have something nice to show haha.

EDIT 3/17/17: Rather than just drop another post in here, I would also like to add Paintbucket Eraser would be phenomenal as well haha. Unless there is already a way to do this that I am missing XD Though I also have to say after a bit of fiddling and getting my sizes scaled correctly, I have to reiterate how amazing your software is; it is basically the perfect companion not only for the game I'm working on, but the engine I am using.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 03:07:08 AM by twitchcoe »

Alex

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2017, 05:36:19 AM »
Thanks! that is a good suggestion, I'll add it to my long list of things to add. I also want to add some other scaling/resizing features in the future.
And yes, any updates on your project would be great to see :)

MrKarate1983

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2017, 04:42:03 AM »
Hello Mr.Alex, I just bought my licensed copy of Crocotile3D this month. Far until now I'm ÜBER happy with how Crocotile3D works and the variety of things that your great software let me create with It. I'm working on a little project for a demo game on a very limited 3d engine. Creating the library of assets for the game is a very relaxing but at the same way tiresome task. Specially when you want to implement something and the software that you are using don't have (or maybe I didn't found it yet) an option to implement Alpha Mapping on certain zones of a 3D object. I would love to know If I can use transparent or translucent textures on my tilesets -specially for the windows of my buildings.

That's all so far.

Greetings & Thanks for all Mr. Alex!

Alex

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2017, 05:14:51 AM »
Thanks! Alpha is kind of tricky to work with. If I remember right, crocotile3d discards any transparent pixels- this allows tiles behind them to show through. You can certainly import textures/tilesets that use alpha, but it may not render it correctly. Crocotile3d wasn't really meant to have any special rendering abilities, so if your final product is to be ran in another engine you can use textures with alpha and it should render fine in that if that engine has the rendering capabilities. Hope that answers your question?

Jake

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2017, 09:27:21 PM »
Now I'm not entirely sure if this feature is already implemented, but this is a feature I'd really like to have.  ::)

When I'm placing down numerous tiles that are identical, it's a very long and drawn out process. Instead of clicking and popping down a tile, then moving along to the next space and repeating until you've got a long row of tiles. It'd be nice to have a feature that lets you place down one tile at the start, you hold down a feature button, and then you go to the very end of the row, place a tile down like normal whilst holding down this feature button, and all the tiles in-between the start and end position are automatically filled up.

Does that make any sense? It'd be a great time saver! :P

Alex

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2017, 10:23:09 PM »
Yeah, that makes sense. I believe something like this has been suggested in the past and it is a good idea. I want to eventually add more tools that can accomplish such tasks like what you describe.

Lollie

• View Profile
    • Lollie.me
« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2017, 01:26:12 AM »
I have a request for the UI: Toolbars. Give every mode and feature its own button, right along the top (or side) of the program window.

Crocotile is a really interesting tool, it does low poly art in a way that looks intuitive and easy to make sense of. But the learning curve is much higher than it could be, because most of the tools/features are currently only accessible via keyboard shortcuts.

I've also had issues getting Active Selection Mode to function. The Enter key appears to do nothing for me, except when I'm editing an object instance - pressing Enter will exit the object editing mode. Being able to enable Active Selection Mode from a toggle button would help alleviate something like this.

Alex

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 13, 2017, 01:58:18 AM »
Hi, thanks for the suggestion! I agree that the UI needs more work- this is something I want to improve!

Sorry about the issue you're having. I just checked the online HowTo page, and realized that it hasn't been updated with the latest info. I went and updated it just now so you can refresh it if you're using it. The Howto that is included in the download of the program should be up to date though.

Some commands were changed in the last two versions of the program.
The Active selection key binding is now Shift+Enter. There is also a new key binding for the Object Edit mode (Enter). When you select an object instance, you can now simply press Enter to begin editing the object, or Enter to stop editing the object.
also, Middle mouse button for toggling Active Selection mode.

So you can use shift+enter or middle mouse button. Hope that helps.

I agree that more clickable buttons could help. However, I need to make sure that I don't keep adding more and more UI elements for everything because this is something that turns me off from other 3d programs- the amount of information that they throw at the user. I need to find a suitable way to increase usability without increasing complexity of the user interface.
With the current features, I feel the key bindings are enough, but as more features are added there will be additional UI elements to manage it appropriately.

Lollie

• View Profile
    • Lollie.me
« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2017, 03:53:23 AM »
Aha, glad to know what happened with Active Selection, thank you! (the keyboard shortcut under the header for Active Selection Mode is still "Enter" though!)

I agree that more clickable buttons could help. However, I need to make sure that I don't keep adding more and more UI elements for everything because this is something that turns me off from other 3d programs- the amount of information that they throw at the user. I need to find a suitable way to increase usability without increasing complexity of the user interface.
With the current features, I feel the key bindings are enough, but as more features are added there will be additional UI elements to manage it appropriately.
This is an understandable concern, although I'd argue that you could always add an option to show/hide toolbars!
Personally, I find them to be really useful when learning a new program - moreso if the keyboard shortcut is included in the tooltips. The visual noise they add is negligible and easy to ignore if they're tucked away along the top or side edge of the application window.

Something else I've noticed, I actually realized while watching your video for 1.2.0 when you were selecting all the tiles for the metal platforms and railing. It could be really handy to be able to select a tile (or tiles) in the Tileset window, and then select all polygons based on your selected tiles. So for example, if you wanted to move all the pipe polygons into a new layer, you wouldn't have to go through the entire model and handpick every single polygon - you could simply select the pipe tiles in your tileset, and extend your selection from there.

I do wonder if this would be viable, I don't know if Crocotile has any sort of Tile ID system in place that could make this easy to pull off.

Alex

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2017, 05:18:22 AM »
Thanks for letting me know about that in the howto- i went and fixed it.

Have you tried using the context menu while in Edit mode? When you right-click a menu pops up with various actions you can perform.

Your suggestion for selecting tiles in the scene by clicking the corresponding tile in the tileset is a good one. It could probably be implemented, however any tile that has been split or had its uv coordinates changed would probably not be selected. But I still think it would be useful to have! :)