Author Topic: Feedback, Requests, & Suggestions  (Read 8956 times)

Brian

• View Profile
Re: Feedback, Requests, & Suggestions
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2016, 06:44:39 AM »
Hey Alex!

Loving the new features, awesome work!

1. I noticed that mouse scroll wheel doesn't seem to zoom while holding spacebar anymore. I have to click/hold the middle mouse button to zoom now (not a huge deal, but it was a nice addition before)

2. Also, I tried the "Deselect All" feature you mentioned and it seems to only deselect the object you right clicked on. In some cases I might have 10 different objects selected and it's a bit tedious to have to find them all in the scene list and right-click deselect all for them. Not a critical feature, but would be a nice quality of life thing down the line if there was a fast way to deselect everything

3. I started my project with a 256x256 tilesheet and tried expanding it to 512x512. Not quite sure how the texture mapping is working, but I couldn't find any way of expanding to 512x512 without messing up the existing textures on my geometry. Is there any recommended way of doing this, or should I just start with a really large tilesheet? I tried adding another tilesheet but when I export out it only seems to export the faces for the currently selected tilesheet (which makes sense); was trying to figure out a way to add more texture space or maybe I should just start a new project for the other objects. Any recommendations?

Awesome work!! This is a fantastic program  ;D
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 06:56:09 AM by Brian »

Alex

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2016, 07:18:24 AM »
Thanks Brian!
I'll look into the mousewheel issue- It probably was something I overlooked while implementing the new keybinding system.
Deselecting all types of objects in one go is good idea- I'll be sure to add it.
The tilesheet resizing seems to mess up uvs for objects- I hadn't noticed this before, so thanks for letting me know, I'll be sure to fix this! Probably was something I overlooked when prefab objects were originally implemented.
When I get a chance I'll fix those things and put out another update!

Edit: alright, new version with fixes is up v1.2.2
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 07:40:44 PM by Alex »

Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2016, 05:08:29 AM »
!!!! Wow that was fast! Thanks for much, Alex!

Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2016, 08:52:37 PM »
Hey Alex!

Was gonna take a stab at making a tree and noticed that there's no way to have double-sided faces, as far as I know (for smaller branches). The branches show okay from one side, but from the other side it's invisible. Is that possible to do on a per-face basis? I know in Unity I can do double sided planes, so was thinking if it's out of scope I could make the base model in Crocotile and attach the branches in Unity. Just checking to see what your thoughts were.

And for the tilesheet resizing, should I be resizing with anchor point in top left corner? I tried like this in 1.2.2 and it seems to still mess up the UVs so wasn't sure if maybe I need to use a different origin.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 09:29:08 PM by Brian »

Alex

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2016, 10:24:08 PM »
The tileset resizing should work regardless of which anchor point is chosen.
I just tried testing it, and it works fine for me.
Have you tried resizing a tileset in a new scene with an object to see if it works there? If it works there and not in your project, then maybe there is some other issue. You could send me the project file if you want me to test it.

As for double sided tiles- that is something on the to-do list. The only thing I see as being a problem with it is getting confused as to which side is facing out. I think generally you'd want to keep that consistent. I haven't decided yet how I want to implement it.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 10:26:05 PM by Alex »

Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2016, 03:05:55 AM »
For double-sized tiles, perhaps the inner side could be transparent, tinted, or visually different in some way? I know some programs like Google Sketchup have a non-texture mode that lets you see which way tiles are facing (white ones are facing out, blue ones are facing in) but that seems a bit complex

Alex

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2016, 04:19:28 PM »
I'll see if I can add it in for the next update.

Rosalie

• View Profile
    • 3DSauce.com
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2016, 03:19:50 PM »
Hi!

Still getting the hang of your awesome program, and I really love how intuitive you've made it!

I did noticed though that I really wish selections would get added to the undo/redo stack. I'm so used to being able to do it in my other programs like Maya and Unity that I always wind up undoing to get back to my previous selection but lose progress instead.

Cheers!

Alex

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2016, 07:55:24 PM »
Thanks for the kind words!
I've thought about including selections in the undo/redo stack, but it adds another layer of data that needs to be managed. Since each tile is its own object, things can be complicated sorting what belongs to what.
If I see a good way to handle it, then I'll work on including it.

Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2016, 04:06:58 AM »
Hi Alex!

Testing out the newest version today and when I export out an object with double-sided textures only one side will appear in the exported .obj file. Is there an option during export too or is that feature not implemented yet? Thanks!

Alex

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2016, 05:13:33 AM »
Hi Brian, since double-sided textures is a property of the material and how it renders, it wont duplicate any polygons when exported to .obj. Which program are you importing it into? Maybe there is a way to enable a double-sided texture in that?

Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2016, 09:19:49 PM »
Thanks for the response, Alex! I'm importing into Unity; looks like I can make a shader with no culling to get the double-sided effect.

Alex

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2016, 10:59:27 PM »
Personally looking forward to the "merge verts export option"
I've implemented this option when exporting a scene to .obj
Will be available in next update(1.2.4)
also currently looking into adding some other export options..

Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2016, 12:45:13 AM »
Ooo, awesome Alex! Can't wait

J. Baker

• View Profile
    • PoseMotion
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2016, 01:50:54 AM »
I don't know if you ever used Wings3D or not but there rotation function is pretty simple and nice. A middle click, of the mouse, activates the rotation feature. You then just move your mouse around to rotate the axis. Then another middle click deactivates the rotation feature. Just a suggestion. ;)