Author Topic: Feedback, Requests, & Suggestions  (Read 12715 times)

mutenhoshi

• View Profile
Re: Feedback, Requests, & Suggestions
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2015, 04:24:51 PM »
sounds great!

the sublayers could be folders. And in the folders could be objects. This way even complex scenes would be easy to manage.
greetings

hOSHI
About me

Alex

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2015, 02:23:41 PM »
hmm.. yeah, that makes sense. That would allow you to see how many grouped tiles(objects) you have.
I like that.. That also allows room for other objects like sprite entities to be managed.
I'll have to think of how to display the layers/folders/objects, etc, in a way that is simple/minimal. Maybe a tab in the tileset window that flips to the layering info for the current tileset.

mutenhoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2015, 06:25:44 PM »
tab sounds great.

Another way to think could be to use objects as "brush" so that you build objects to paint with them ;)
greetings

hOSHI
About me

Alex

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2015, 04:26:03 PM »
Yeah, allowing grouped objects to be used as brush is a good idea.
I already had idea of custom brushes, but having them relate to the objects makes sense.

HeadClot

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2015, 05:28:03 AM »
Hey,
Just got started using the Crocotile3D trial / Shareware version here is some feedback / Suggestions.

1. Normal Map support - For Dynamic Lighting, etc.
2. A Batch export option for Prefabs (.OBJ) to a user specified folder.
3. Some form of transform widget for moving prefabs and tiles in the X Y and Z Axis.
4. FPS (WASD) Controls for viewing scenes faster and more accurately.
5. Right Click + W,A,S, or D to Rotate around the scene.
6. The ability to draw Collision hulls in the viewport, name them, and export them.

Hope that this has been helpful. :)

- HeadClot
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 07:53:29 AM by HeadClot »

Alex

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2015, 06:03:35 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions, HeadClot.
Normal mapping would be great. I have plans to add lights. Implementing Prefabs was a step towards that, since it allows having objects with imagepoints- I am imagining a way to define what type of prefab it is, and using imagepoints to position light entities for example. Or perhaps a way to define what type of imagepoint it is, with settings, etc. Normal maps would be a logical thing to implement when light entities are available.
Batch exporting options make sense to have.
Can you describe the transform widget some more? I'm not sure I understand.
Hm.. a FPS view mode might be interesting to have. That might be doable once I rework the keymapping system. Reworking the keymapping system is the next thing I want to do, which should make it easier to add more tools and functionality, or customize existing ones.
Collision hulls could probably be done with prefabs- maybe I could add an option to render them as wireframes?

+Alex

HeadClot

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2015, 11:12:26 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions, HeadClot.

Can you describe the transform widget some more? I'm not sure I understand.

+Alex

Hey Alex this image should sum it up. :)

So instead of using hot keys we are using an object that is in the environment to translate objects along the X, Y, and Z axises respectfully.

This would really speed up work flow opposed to using hotkeys. :)

Alex

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2015, 11:34:50 PM »
Okay, there is already a feature that does a similar action.
If you go into the settings, you can enable crosshair arrows.
This will display yellow arrows along the 3d crosshair when mouse hovers over the lines. You can click and drag to move selections along a specific axis. It only moves along one axis at a time though. Perhaps in the future two axis at a time could be implemented.
Also, if you hold Shift down, it will move only the crosshair and leave the selections at same position (useful if you want to shift the crosshair without moving anything).
Let me know if this is useful for you, or if you have any suggestions on how to improve it.
Thanks
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 11:37:03 PM by Alex »

Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2016, 03:33:10 AM »
Hey Alex!

Really loving Crocotile!! I'm working on a top-down dungeon and noticed that when I'm in aerial view it's not possible to rotate in a clockwise or counterclockwise direction, relative to the viewer. I have to change the camera to side view to rotate on the ground plane and this can become a bit tedious going back and forth from aerial view to side view to do all my rotations.

1. Would it be possible to add a Ctrl, Alt, or Shift modifier to QE rotations, so that when modifier is held down it rotates clockwise/counterclockwise relative to the viewer?

2. Is there any way to quickly move the 3D cursor to an object? It's easy to do with vertices, just by clicking them, but when working with lots of objects I find myself having to manually move the cursor to objects to do rotations. This would help a ton!

3. Possibly add folder creation to the object list so you can group them by type. For instance, all wall objects might go in the wall folder, all furniture in a different folder, foliage in another folder, etc. Not critical, but it would be really helpful!

4. When exporting, if you only have objects in your scene you get a message that says "There are no tiles using the current tileset!". You can easily work around this by adding a since face to the scene, but would be ideal if you could export with just objects in your scene.

5. When exporting, having a "select all" for the object list would be really nice!

Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 04:38:45 AM by Brian »

Alex

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2016, 04:18:03 PM »
Thanks for the feedback/suggestions Brian,
1. This is a good idea- I will put it on the to do list, but it should be relatively easy to implement. I can understand how it might be tedious if you have to rotate a lot of things different ways and need to keep changing the camera angle. Maybe I can have it implemented in the next version.
2. Moving by clicking a vertex is currently the only way to jump to a specific position in space. I can totally understand the need for jumping to an object- I'm imagining it would jump to the object's origin point. I don't know if it would be good to move it by simply clicking the object. Might be better to add the option in the context menu when you right click it, to prevent accidentally moving the crosshair? Should be relative simple to add.
3. Folder creation is already available. There is a button under the Scene tab that creates folders, and you can drag objects in to/out of the folders, and arrange them however you want.
4. Hm, I'll look into this. I probably overlooked that sort of situation, so I'll see what I can do to fix it.
5. If you use folders, you can select the entire folder, which will select all the objects in it. So using folders would help this case.

Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2016, 06:07:29 PM »
Thanks Alex! Will definitely give the folders a try

For objects, is there a way to see an object's origin point when editing? I may have overlooked it

Alex

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2016, 07:50:24 PM »
Oh, btw, they're not called folders in crocotile3d, but rather Layers
There's a button to add a Layer in the scene tab, which will create a layer that acts similar to a folder, and you can then place the objects in them.

For object origin points, if you open the Scene tab while editing an Instance, you can use the dropdown menu at the bottom to select "0: Origin", which will then cause a diamond to show in the 3d scene at that point. The origin point gets assigned to wherever the crosshair was when you first created the object, but you can move this point later by positioning the crosshair and clicking the button next to the dropdown list (make sure to select the 0: Origin, from the list first).. You can also add more points too, and select them from the dropdown list and reposition them. You can remove additional points but not the origin point. And can export the data too by right-clicking the object in the Scene tab and choosing Export Instance Data..

In the future I will implement the ability to rename the points..

Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2016, 05:09:18 AM »
Awesome! Didn't know about the origins; that helps a ton!

Couple other things I noted while playing around tonight:

1. It looks like the Grid Rounding only goes up to 16. Would be nice if that could go up to 32 or 64 (or whatever, if possible). Personally, I'm working with 96x96 size object tiles so it would be really awesome if I could just snap them into place with Grid Rounding

2. Not sure why/when this happens, but sometimes I'll be trying to zoom into something really close and the zoom/pan speed becomes almost nothing. Haven't pinpointed when this happens because it's not all the time, but will try to find a way to reproduce it

3. Possibly allow deselection of selected objects with Ctrl + D (maybe third press? :p ). When doing a large duplicate of objects (like a room of a dungeon), it takes a bunch of clicks to select and then deselect all the object pieces. Not a huge deal, but something to keep in mind

Alex

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2016, 07:16:54 AM »
1. Grid rounding is tied to the tilesize, so if you set the tilesize to 32x 32y, the max for grid rounding becomes 32.. if tilesize is 24x 32y for example, then gridrounding max would be the smaller of the two values. It was designed this way to help keep rounding relative to the pixel size in a tile..
Perhaps that design isn't good? I'll try changing it to allow higher values and see how it works, but let me know if adjusting the tilesize values is a solution for you or not.
2. The way the zoom works is that the pan speed will slow down as you zoom in. If it didn't then it would be difficult to position the camera while zoomed in- you'd end up moving too far, etc. Maybe there is an issue about it that I don't know about?
3. You can right-click the objects in the Scene tab and choose Deselect All to deselect all the instances of that object. Have you tried this method?

btw, I've implemented the ability to position crosshair to origin point of object, and also rotate clockwise/counter-clockwise.. so those will be available in the next update. I'll probably be going through the to-do list and seeing what other stuff I can do before releasing the next update.

Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2016, 05:07:51 PM »
Wow, awesome! Really looking forward to the new additions, those will be really handy

Thanks for clarifying the other points, I didn't even realize I could edit the tile size. I must be on whatever the default is; will definitely give that a try! Haven't tried "Deselect all" either yet, sounds like what I was looking for  ;D

Regarding the camera zoom, it works 99% of the time like you describe and works really well. It's only happened a couple times where I notice the camera moves to a crawl (generally when I'm working really high up and then try to zoom down into something for detail work). Moving the camera around a few times seems to fix it, so it might just be some weirdness going on when you travel large distances in a single move or something? Either way, I'd say it's really minor and I'll keep an eye out if it happens again and try to get you repro steps.

Personally looking forward to the "merge verts export option"; I've been exporting my .obj files and bringing them into Unity and noticed occasional seams showing in my dungeon, between faces of one object to the other (though they show correctly in Crocotile). This could likely be entirely unrelated, but figured I'd give it a try once it's ready

Thanks for all the great work, Alex; this program is already amazing and getting better each day!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 05:17:17 PM by Brian »