Crocotile 3D > General

Problems with Crocotile 3D and Unity?

(1/3) > >>

Jake:
Hey everyone,

I've created a outside scene in Crocotile 3D as a test to import into Unity and mess around with. I used TexturePacker to create the spritesheet and in Crocotile 3D my scene looks perfect, as it should be. However when I export (only thing I select is to make sure the textures are exported too) and then import into Unity, the model imports fine, however the textures are all.. odd. I get strange lines at the edges of each tile, that didn't exist in Crocotile 3D. Is anyone familiar with this issue and does anyone have any solutions? Looking at Giromancy's Silent Hill project that was developed in Unity with Crocotile 3D tells me that there must be a solution!  ;)

I searched these forums and found this topic that was interesting, I believe this user might have a had a similar issue as I do. http://c3d.xyz/index.php?topic=156.0 However, his solution to disable anti-aliasing isn't really that ideal, as it seems to be glancing over the problem than actually fixing it and the issue still remains, it's just slightly harder to notice. I've also messed about with the UV Padding and set it to '1' or '2'. This, along with messing around with Unity's settings does remove the line problem, however, it also messes up some other textures in my scenes as well.

The reason I'm asking here instead of at the Unity forums is in case I made some mistake with Crocotile 3D and the export process. I'll admit I am a very new to Unity, so it's highly probable I'm to blame here, but was hoping if any other users who use Crocotile 3D and Unity would be able to help me out?

I've attached some images to show you my problems.
The first image is how my scene appears in Crocotile 3D.
http://imgur.com/QLR7mTM

The other two images are taken directly from the Unity Editor, it's in these images you can see the lines I was talking about.
http://i.imgur.com/377OaLY.png
http://imgur.com/weSFrjc

Sorry for the long post! I'm loving Crocotile 3D atm though  8)

Alex:
I'm not that familiar with how Unity handles stuff, so I'm not sure how much help I can give.
Maybe the uv coordinates are being rounded somehow when imported.. maybe it is how unity renders textures.. maybe the textures have been optimized when importing, or the textures have a certain setting that ends up blurring the pixels, therefor pixels from one tile crossover and bleed into other tiles.
If you attach the obj,textures,etc- I could try looking at and messing with it in unity if you are unable to find any solutions.

Jake:

--- Quote from: Alex on March 30, 2017, 01:59:23 AM ---I'm not that familiar with how Unity handles stuff, so I'm not sure how much help I can give.
Maybe the uv coordinates are being rounded somehow when imported.. maybe it is how unity renders textures.. maybe the textures have been optimized when importing, or the textures have a certain setting that ends up blurring the pixels, therefor pixels from one tile crossover and bleed into other tiles.
If you attach the obj,textures,etc- I could try looking at and messing with it in unity if you are unable to find any solutions.

--- End quote ---

Unfortunately I haven't had much luck in figuring out a solution, I've attached a zip file containing an obj of my test scene, the mtl file and texture. Maybe you'll have better success? If not, it isn't the end of the world. Thanks for offering to help me out  :)

EDIT: I also converted the .obj to an .fbx and imported it into the Unreal Engine and get the same result. Could this be an issue with Crocotile 3D or my export settings? (which was just export only with textures). Or maybe the fault is with the spritesheet I created with TexturePacker. Hmm.

Alex:

--- Quote from: Jake on March 30, 2017, 09:05:13 PM ---Unfortunately I haven't had much luck in figuring out a solution, I've attached a zip file containing an obj of my test scene, the mtl file and texture. Maybe you'll have better success? If not, it isn't the end of the world. Thanks for offering to help me out  :)

EDIT: I also converted the .obj to an .fbx and imported it into the Unreal Engine and get the same result. Could this be an issue with Crocotile 3D or my export settings? (which was just export only with textures). Or maybe the fault is with the spritesheet I created with TexturePacker. Hmm.

--- End quote ---

Okay, I found the problem and solution.
It is related to the texture dimensions. If the width or height of the image isn't a power of 2, then it will produce the problem. If you simply add more space to your texture so that it is a power of two dimensions, then it will look perfect in Unity. I also change the filter mode of the texture to Point, and also the format to True color.
 :)

Jake:
Hi Alex,

Thanks for the help so far, I really appreciate it!  :)

It looks like you've got it figured out, the screenshot you've uploaded looks perfect. That being said, I've tried what you've suggested but have hit a brick wall. I've added more space to the sprite sheet (using Paint.NET), the dimensions are now 512 x 128. I then imported my assets into Unity, loaded the OBJ into my scene. Created a new Legacy Shader > Diffuse. Loaded the sprite sheet onto it. Then applied it to my OBJ. I also changed the filter mode to point, couldn't find a true colour format though (I think I'm using a newer version than you are). This is the result I got (http://imgur.com/QThzX8k).

Was there something I did wrong or that I missed that you did? Thanks again for your help  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version