Author Topic: Small question  (Read 1535 times)

Wuvvums

Small question
« on: November 03, 2016, 02:14:18 AM »
I just got this program and I've been playing around with it and I had a question of how you can fix the top of the roof here? I just want to play with the tile set that came with the program first and I got a lot of what I wanted to do done just looking at the videos and how the program behaved. But then the videos as archive old and didn't explain how to fix the top of the roof.

https://i.gyazo.com/0669eb927f50c2f05b042eb05e3afd8d.png
https://i.gyazo.com/ca97c677e77aad4426b299e333b2f99d.png

As a side note I've been trying my best it's difficult because I'm working one-handed as I'm in a splint until Monday. The program seems to work pretty well but having the mandatory spacebar and mouse made things quite difficult to do with one hand part of me wonders if there can be alternative control such as maybe the middle mouse button that can work for people that might have one arm injured? I thought it might be something to consider not that I'm a programmer just that this is been extremely difficult to do in my current physical state but I am quite happy with this program.

I think what might be nice to is a small tutorial of how to like make the swamp with that tile set so that people can understand what buttons were done to do all this. I got of better grasp now I just have issues figuring out that last bit. Thank you.

SleepySquidd

Re: Small question
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 02:30:56 AM »
I figured instead of typing out a paragraph that I would just make a quick video to guide you through it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBQEUV8Hxxc

Alex

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 02:57:24 AM »
Thanks for that video, SleepySquidd :)
Wuvvums, there is an option in the Button settings if you click the Gear icon in the top right corner. There's a setting to Toggle Camera Mode. This will allow you to press the spacebar to toggle between camera mode and edit mode. That way you don't have to hold spacebar down. It may not be exactly what you have in mind though. I'm open to other implementations, I'd just need them explained well so that I can understand how it'd work. How would you control rotation/panning/zooming with the middle mouse button?

Wuvvums

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 03:11:40 AM »
Thank you for that small tutorial. As far as the middle mouse button goes I'm not sure I was throwing that out as an example I know that eating in a mouse multiple buttons. They didn't know if the middle mouse button could stand in for a spacebar press when you're pressing it down. I can't say I'm an expert on this kind of thing I've just found myself in a situation where I had only one hand to work with for four weeks. And I found a lot of this program wasn't too bad but needs use the was a huge challenge because I can kind of press it but my hands fixed in a position where the palm is facing upward so I really had to twist just use the spacebar.

I'm not an expert Tom programming or accessibility so I don't know if I have advice for kind of solution. But I guess it might be useful as feedback to know. I will try to press that thing that will let me going to camera mode and see how that works when I play around some more tomorrow.

Wuvvums

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2016, 09:57:59 AM »
I had another question. Is there some issue with transparency? For example I was wanting to make a chair here and it's got four sides but you can't see the back leg even though there's a tile for all four sides

https://i.gyazo.com/35c7d15983cf5f22ac75960bd1d6055a.png

It's there something I'm doing wrong?

Alex

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2016, 10:11:04 AM »
Tiles are one-sided. This is due to how rendering 3d works, because the direction a polygon faces is important in determining how to draw it to the screen. If you want, you can toggle double-sided mode by pressing number 9 on the keyboard. This will toggle double-sided mode for whichever tileset you currently are using, but it might confuse you as to which way the tiles are facing.
Also, thanks for the suggestion regarding the middle mouse button- I'll be thinking about how an alternative controls could be implemented.

Wuvvums

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2016, 11:00:57 AM »
You're welcome, I kind of understand what you're saying I've never really worked in 3-D but I think being able to toggle will be nice. I'm glad you're also willing to take feedback, and I look forward to seeing this program get further developed.  :)