Author Topic: Can't get linux version to run  (Read 1935 times)

forleafe

• View Profile
Can't get linux version to run
« on: November 02, 2016, 10:37:15 AM »
I might be doing something wrong. But I download it, unzip it to a folder, then try clicking crocotile3d. Nothing happens. The file is set to allow executing when I right click it and all the permissions seem to be good.

I'm running Ubuntu.

thanks.

Alex

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Can't get linux version to run
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 03:10:12 PM »
What version of ubuntu? and is it 32 or 64 bit?

forleafe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 10:35:57 PM »
Yes! I'm a 64 bit user! I think we've talked over twitter briefly and you mentioned this suggestion:

http://c3d.xyz/index.php?topic=64.0

Unfortunately, the command he posted no longer is supported. :( I've been searching frantically for a solution, since I've fallen head over heels for this lovely piece of software you've made, but my results are thinning, and if there is a solution out there, it's likely to be pretty arcane.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/804584/command-to-install-32bit-packages-lib32z1-lib32ncurses5-lib32bz2-1-0-lib32stdc

After running across the link above, it pretty much explains that Ubuntu's 32 bit architecture is obsolete, and that the only solution for 64 bit users (which is pretty much everyone on linux) is to run whatever you need through a virtual machine... which... defeats the entire point of a native package.

I understand that this is a HEFTY request, but I would come just short of begging for a native 64 bit ubuntu(linux) version. I think it would benefit the majority of linux users as well, as, sad to say, it looks like the version you've ported to linux is slightly depreciated.

Please let me know if you know of a better solution in the meantime to get me up and running with Crocotile3D, I'd do just about anything to get my hands on this program and try it out, as it suits my needs like no other!

-Bryan

Alex

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 10:58:07 PM »
Thanks for the info, I don't have access to a 64bit linux where I can compile the necessary files. I can only run a 32bit linux virtual machine on my computer which is 8 years old. I need to update a lot of my hardware to help test things, etc. This is something I want to do sooner rather than later, but I don't have the funds to do it at the moment.. but yea.. I have my hands tied until I can become more hands on with the issue, unfortunately.

forleafe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 11:36:20 PM »
I completely understand man. For the time being I'll look into getting this running on a virtual machine so I can try it out, create beautiful things, and sing its praises to the world. :) I wish I could help you more with this development project, but sadly I'm more of an artist than I am a programmer. Maybe in the future once I'm a little more skilled I can help. :P

rjt

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2016, 09:01:36 AM »
Unfortunately, the command he posted no longer is supported. :( I've been searching frantically for a solution, since I've fallen head over heels for this lovely piece of software you've made, but my results are thinning, and if there is a solution out there, it's likely to be pretty arcane.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/804584/command-to-install-32bit-packages-lib32z1-lib32ncurses5-lib32bz2-1-0-lib32stdc

That link seems to suggest a non-virtualisation suggestion, the same as was mentioend in the previous thread!

Running a 32-bit program on 64-bit Linux really shouldn't be much of a problem. Dunno about Ubuntu so much, but you probably have to add a specific repository to install 32-bit stuff? Did you
Code: [Select]
sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386 like it says in that link?

Then you just need to figure out which libraries you're missing and install them. What does it say when you run Crocotile from a terminal?

forleafe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2016, 09:22:40 AM »
./crocotile3d: error while loading shared libraries: libnss3.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Yeah, I've tried that before. Tried it again and I get the usual offender. :( I've tried installing missing packages here and there, but I'm having trouble figuring out what I'm missing and where I can get it.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 09:24:52 AM by forleafe »

rjt

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2016, 09:46:55 AM »
Afraid I can't help you with specific Ubunut commands, but your package manager should have a way to find which packages you need to grab to get the libs you need. Maybe you can do it with apt-cache search and grep?

Okay turns out you can do it through  packages.ubuntu.com too

http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?searchon=contents&keywords=libnss3.so&mode=exactfilename&suite=yakkety&arch=i386

I hope I'm being helpful, it's hard for me to tell D: Maybe I'll chuck Ubuntu on here sometimes this weekend if you're still stuck. Been meaning to mess with it anyway. I have Lubuntu on a busted old laptop, but it's 32-bit and I don't do much fiddling with it.

rjt

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2016, 09:51:49 AM »
Oh, I should confirm:

sudo apt-get install libnss3:i386
still isn't working after adding 32-bit library support with

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
?

forleafe

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2016, 10:49:15 AM »
./crocotile3d: error while loading shared libraries: libgconf-2.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

the error message changed, which seems promising. I tried running sudo install on libgconf-2.so.4 and get this..

E: Unable to locate package libconf-2.so.4
E: Couldn't find any package by glob 'libconf-2.so.4'
E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'libconf-2.so.4'

rjt

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2016, 12:40:31 PM »
You left the 'g' out ;)

I think they grab 'libgconf-2-4:i386' in the other thread.

forleafe

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2016, 04:40:47 PM »
OMG VICTORY!!!! Dx This is literally the most satisfying victory I've had in a long time haha. So yes! missing the g in that line was an issue, but it wasn't the only one. In the other thread they suggest running this code to install all of the missing 32 bit packages:

sudo apt-get install libnss3:i386 libgconf-2-4:i386 libXtst6:i386 libgtk2.0-0:i386 libnotify4:i386
The entire line of code wouldn't work, and it would tell me that it couldn't find one of them. I assumed the entire package list was just no longer supported, but what seems to be the problem was:

sudo apt-get install libxtst6:i386
yeah... see the "x" in libXtst ? I changed that to a lowercase "x" and it worked. so the above code finally ran. I then proceeded to install each piece of code individually rather than in one big chunk as suggested. By the time I got to the end, the program ran just fine. :)

So for anyone else running into this issue. The order of operations for me was:

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386

sudo apt-get install libnss3:i386

sudo apt-get install libgconf-2-4:i386

sudo apt-get install libxtst6:i386

sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-0:i386

sudo apt-get install libnotify4:i386

I ran each line one by one as I've written above.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 04:43:10 PM by forleafe »

Alex

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2016, 05:18:14 PM »
That's great to hear! Glad you managed to get it working :)

forleafe

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2016, 07:07:51 PM »
Yesss! The gloves are coming off now my friend. :) I have lots of neat things I'm planning on making with this! I'll make sure to post it all!

rjt

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2016, 01:27:27 AM »
ACE!
Little Linux victories like this are always very exciting for me too!